Saturday, September 18, 2010

What's this stick with all the hairs sticking out of it?

After scouring the internet I learned that this stick thing was in fact.. a paint brush!.  Gee, haven't seen one of those in a while.
Seriously, today I get to use the new paint brushes I bought yesterday.  And I remind you that I am still writing "in the past". In real time actually today I will be putting on the 2nd coat of paint on the front of the house, but for the purposes of this post, "today" is actually about three days ago.

Today's miniproject is to put a primer coat on all the white parts of the porch and corner posts of the house.  To do this I purchased a gallon of Zinnser 1-2-3 interior/exterior primer.  This stuff is fantastic.  In fact, the paint lady at Home Depot said one of the people that works there actually used it to paint the tiles in her bathroom.  Then she repainted the tiles!  This primer does two things: it really adheres to the surface you put it on (including skin!) and it gives the 2nd coat of whatever you're covering it with a good clean surface to adhere to.  It also locks in any stains, etc. so they won't bleed through your final coat.

The painting went well.  So well that I probably could just leave the primer on and not even recoat it, but when I do something I like to do it the right way, so I also bought a gallon of Benjamin Moore white paint for the final coat.  This stuff is expensive ($42 a gallon I think), but does a great job.  We used it in Florida and were very happy with it.



Can you tell which side I painted and which side isn't?  If you said the left, you are correct.  Proceed to GO and pay yourself $200.  BTW I only stopped painting to take this dramatic picture.  I then completed painting the front.  Again, this is just primer...... 2nd coat of Benny Moore Expensivo paint comes tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment