Thursday, September 23, 2010

DAY IX ~ the "lost day"


Whew!   I've been working nonstop for like 8 days straight!  So when I got up this morning and it was a beautiful day, I decided to reward myself and do a little flying.  The last flying I did was for my biennial flight review.  Here's a question:  What's the difference between "biennial" and "biannual"?  I'll tell you later.  But anyway I have to do this every so often.  It consists of one hour of ground school .... testing me on rules, regulations, map reading, etc. and then one hour of flying.... maneuvers, navigation, etc.

So I had no problem with the ground school part, but when it came time to get in the plane and fly without a GPS to Hammonton Airport I was a nervous wreck. It's only around 30 air miles away but he (my instructor) threw so many distractions at me that I missed the airport!  I eventually found it, but from that point on I vowed that would NEVER happen to me again. 

Every day since then I have been on what's called a VOR navigation simulator    http://www.relia.net/~george/aviation/sim/  and now feel very confident about the navigation and wanted to try that flight again, so today that's what I did.  Need I tell you that it went flawlessly and when the proper time came I looked down and the airport was right there!

So even though I got to the airport around 9am, did my prep work, did the flight, and when all was said and done I didn't leave Robert J. Miller Airpark until, after 12 noon!

The rest of the afternoon is kind of a blur, but I did manage to get out to work around 4:30pm and farted around until dark.  Oh well, EVERY day can't be a blockbuster!!  (speaking of Blockbuster, did you hear they filed for bankrupcy).  I'm sure it was Netflix that did them in.

Back to work tomorrow!

PS:  Biennial means once every two years.    Biannual means twice a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment