Monday, September 20, 2010

DAY VI ~ Shiftin' Gears

First of all let me tell you that I've caught up my posts and I've actually done this work TODAY!

My day didn't start well.  I went to Caffrey's (a local pub) last night to celebrate all the work I've done so far. I only had three beers I think, but it was good to actually see other people.  Got to bed around midnight I guess. I took my laptop to bed and fired up Netflix and set it so I could watch the Pink Panther 2 w/Steve Martin.  I actually did the exact same thing the night before but fell asleep somewhere in the first half of the movie.

So what made me think this night would be any different? This time however I fell asleep during the beginning credits!  But now it gets weird.

I was awakened by a bizarre dream where I was somehow at some sort of maybe a Satanic ritual where there were two men in front of me tied to long ropes. We were in some sort of theatre or arena, and running the show was this Goth-like character.  After torturing the one guy for a few minutes he took out a knife and started stabbing him all over...... blood splashing everywhere.  Even in my dream I couldn't watch this and turned my head.  I then heard something and looked up and saw a guy come up from the floor with a chainsaw and cut the stabber in half.  At that point I IMMEDIATELY woke up, only to hear what sounded like someone breaking into my house, which is another story.  With all this going on I couldn't sleep and checked the time.  It was 5:30am. 

So what does this have to do with painting my house?  Well, the good thing is that it woke me up early so I got up, got dressed and started my day!




Today we move to the "right" side of the house (facing the front).  This side faces the main road so it is important to get this side looking good. As you can see I have my little painting table/workstation set up, the side has been washed, and I'm ready to go. 


The trim boards that go up the roof line are in horrible shape so I spent a bunch of time scraping them.  I also washed them but will not paint them today, as they seemed to stay damp.  I will wait until they dry thoroughly. 



This is a relatively small side but I had to turn my ladder into an extension ladder to get to do the top painting.  Also there is a pathetic gable vent louver on this wall that one of the vents has fallen out.  I have two choices here.... make and install a new slat .... OR .... (and this is brilliant)... use a portion of one of the old wooden shutters from the "wino room" window.  I took the measurements and it appears that if I cut the shutter properly, I will have a section that will slip nicely into the entire opening, but that is for a later date.

BTW, because of my near death experience earlier this morning, by the time Diane came over to help me today I had already set everything up, did some scraping, went to the Home Depot to buy new shutters for the front of the house (when I got there I realized I didn't have my wallet so I had to come home empty-handed), came back and was raking some leaves. 

After eating some pork roll, egg, and cheese sandwiches on an English Muffin she brought over, we began painting and didn't stop until it was finished ... maybe3:30pm.  She went home to clean up, and I stayed to do all the grunt work... cleaning brushes, putting crap away, etc. 

When she came back I was just cleaning the last brush.  She really wanted me to get those shutters up so we drove to the Depot and picked them up.  They really didn't have a good selection, but I felt anything was better than what I had.  They were supposed to be white, but to me looked a little beige.  After I got them outside I ripped open the clear packaging and they indeed looked white so I was happy ..... until I installed them.  they are white, but not as white as the new window trim painting I did.  It is very slight but I'm sure no one will notice but me.



After that I installed a new doorbell button (we also just bought)where formerly there was a hole I drilled when I ran the wire for it ..... three years ago.  Of course, I don't even HAVE a doorbell, but I ran the wire for one and so this is the first step.  Some of you will be pleased to know that this is a lighted doorbell button.

Oh, and I must give proper credit to Diane for raking the front of my house, and cleaning all the webs and junk in the (formerly) screened in patio.  I worked her very hard but she didn't quit.  Thanks, Di.

Well, the plan for tomorrow is to rip down the front leaders and fascia boards and replace them.  Also going to Allied Supply in Toms River to pick up the soffit materials so maybe I'll start putting that up too.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment